Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My two Whys

I've been asked what my "why" is many times in this business. At first I thought my why, of course, was to help people and to make money doing it. Well, that's a, OK reason. I've always been conscious of other people, I always have taken people at face value and it's hard for me to keep secrets about myself when I connect with a person, but I've always connected better with animals. Daizey is my oldest dog, she is well into her teens and she has been the shoulder I could cry on since I was 7. Anything I felt too embarassed to tell another person, Daizey wouldn't chastise me for whatever happened. So my thinking about my "why" turned into wanting to help the animal community, children and breast cancer survivors have so many fighting for them- animals just have crazy PETA nuts. My heart goes to the senior and handicapped ones (I own one of each lol), the ones that are 15 yrs old in a shelter because their families couldn't take care of them anymore...or just didn't care. The ones wagging thier whole body because their legs don't work- and I used to have to euthanize them.
1-That was the most heartbreaking and rewarding volunteer work I have ever done. I was in the euthanasia room taking the place of the poor person that had to do that everyday. We worked 8am-4pm, taking a break every 2 hrs to wipe the tears and breath. When we started again it was to go to another cage of puppies/ kittens, old/ young, not cute enough to be adopted in the allotted time, pregnant, heartworm positive...and to take them up to the exam table slide a needle into their vein and end their life while they were still trying to kiss me.The solace I got was that even though we were ending their lives, atleast I could show them love before the end not knowing if they ever recieved any before that point. Atleast I could pet them and hold them til they fell asleep and fell down onto the table.
I want to help them, I want to alteast be able to provide a sanctuary or hospice home to the old or handicapped ones so the younger ones can be placed from the shelter.
My second "why"
I want a home of my own, I want babies. Since being diagnosed that second dream, out of conscienceness, Ive decided to take away. I don't want a child being born with this because of my selfishness. I've seen a few studies saying it can be transmitted in utero but it really hit home when a friend I've made in the support group tested her kids and 3/5 are positive. Knowing and being ignorant are 2 completely different things, now that I know I have made my own choices. I have put away some money each week into my "adoption account". As I progress in this company, I am so excited to know that, that account is going to grow so much faster than I originally intended- I'm going to be able to buy my own home much quicker which means I can start adoption proceedings that much sooner. I am SO ready for that chapter of my life to begin, I want to do it the right way and provide a loving home (with a lot of disabled pets : ) to some great kid.
I realized in order to help others, I have to help myself first.
I am so thankful to be given this opportunity, I am so excited to share it with those that will listen and for those that don't- Your "why" must not be big enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment